|LIFE IN THE USA
Airports and security
• Airports - what luggage - oh baggage handlers running a little behind schedule - wait an hour then see if it has turned up
• Air flights - Cant take off, the weather is too bad just sit here on the plane and wait 8 hours - sorry no air-con working
• Airport Security – San Francisco – lady with twins on her own -NO your 6 week old babies can’t
• wear their booties and yes they have to go through the security scan by themselves - I saw this with my own eyes and when offered to
help told to butt out and mind my own business
• Tipping - what do you mean you DON'T tip - Lady you are in AMERICA
• Taxi drivers - How do I get to that place - do you have a map
• Taxi ride through Manhattan, lady I think it would be quicker for you to get out and walk
• Traffic Wardens - Oh great - they are iced in lets give them a parking violation because they can’t
move their car
• Being yelled at for not walking on the correct side of the sidewalk
• Told you are stupid when you don’t cross because the Hand it up saying don’t cross – told the cars are going the other way so cross the
road you stupid person.
• Food Poisoning - Who said TACO Bell's food was off,
• What Rats in the Pizza place in The Village Manhattan.
• Rats - I thought they were small dogs in the 2 foot high pile of garbage on the sidewalk
• Bed Bugs - Oh is that what all those red itchy spots on me are –is that what those things under my pillow are when I lift it up to see
why I feel things crawling on me
• Cockroaches - Is that what was dancing on the bench last night and crawling over my feet in the bathroom.
• Contamination man coming around once a month to spray poison on every surface of my kitchen – the joys of living in Flat Bush Ave in
a low economic housing area.
• Mice – party at my place every night, mouse poo everywhere, on the bench, in my dishes in the cupboard, all over the stove top in the
morning and not a mouse to be seen, just where they have eaten through the walls in the kitchen.
• Mouse Traps – no way they are inhumane. Lets put sticky pads everywhere so that little mouse gets it feet stuck and screams out in
pain as it is ripping the skin off trying to escape. Then you have to bang it on the head to kill it – yes very humane
• Spaghetti Strap tops in New York and the Mid West – you scarlet woman
• Manhattan Rudeness - Doorman lets me through the door then shuts it rapidly on the black man who I was actually walking with, I
ask– “Why did you do that” - His comment – “Oh I didn't see him there” – yeah right
• I once encountered a Black Journalist in a bar in New York when I first arrived here telling a fellow New Yorker that I was from New
Zealand. “Where is that” said his friend and I quote the journalists words "Oh the Last Bus Stop on Earth, you know that place where all those
backward people are" - “NOTE”- There are some people in the US who have never been outside their local town let alone a neighbouring
state or outside of America. These type of people are the most backward stupid people living in a country that is supposed to be a super
- I experienced racism and saw it from both sides. Yes it goes both ways. It was a major learning experience for me and I grew from it.
• Getting spat on both in the street and in a grocery store by black people.
• Being called White Trash by a young black guy as I walk down the street minding my own business
• Being dragged out of a changing room in a store and told, - we don’t serve white trash
• Being abused for walking with a black man publicly by a smart ass white idiot.
• A Black friend and his White Wife, buying tickets for a show, Black man not served but white person behind him served.
New York Cops
• Cops – screaming through Manhattan sirens going, RED LIGHT – all STOP and wait for the green light, same thing in the next block –
cant have been to urgent – what a joke.
• Cops once again screaming through Flatbush Ave, One stops dead in the middle of the road for no reason major 3 car pileup, all COP
cars, an hour later when I was returning from my walk they were still arguing over whose fault it was. Hahahah what a laugh
New York Extreme Weather
• Summer so hot and humid you are soaked with sweat when you go outside and the afternoon thunder storms, the grey overcast sky where
the air is too thick with smog to breathe.
• Winter so cold you turn blue and shiver for hours when you step outside, taking hours to warm up again. Stepping in the Black Ice
that you didn’t notice – stepping around the huge mounds of ice built up on the sidewalk when you try to cross the road
• San Francisco – Dead person on the sidewalk Fishermans Wharf, people just walking by
• Seattle – so many homeless people sitting and sleeping outside Boeing Manufacturing area
• Manhattan – homeless people sleeping outside major Hotels
• Brooklyn – Prospect Park – the home for the homeless grocery store trolleys holding their meagre belongings
• Brooklyn Prospect Heights - People begging outside grocery stores.
• Florida – Veteran Soldier with huge placard – Please give a $ for a homeless Vet.
Articles in the news
• Discrimination - NYPD shoot first if they are black - do you have a spare 50 bullets - Cops - Lethal Weapon or is it Turner and Hooch
• Priests and Ministers - Gay who's gay - oh you mean THAT little indiscretion with those young boys.
• The War on Terror", let’s just send 4000+ innocent young people many under the age of 25 to die needlessly and thousands more to
come home injured, then not given the treatment they deserve.
• War Wounded - Rehab what rehab - you are number xxx on the waiting list to see somebody and receive help - go private - Regarded
as a HERO until they actually need help, then just a number in a line of waiting invalids
• Global Warming - NO not in the USA we are a super power - maybe in the poorer countries - HELLO wake up - America the Ice is
melting right above you.
• Emissions Gas - Pollution - What’s that, MY car isn't to blame as he roars off in his big gas guzzling tank of a car.
• Hurricanes & Tornado's - Katrina - What funds - we spent it all on administrative costs
• The Natural American Landscape Beauty – make way for big business lets destroy the environment for a money making project
“SO THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM"
Oh what a cynical person I became in the first few months after arriving in Brooklyn. Just imagine what another 5 months did to me and I was
stupid enough to return to the USA after going home once I received my 2 year probation green card - but only to get something out of the
grief and the expense I endured getting my green card.
But on a positive side, I did do a lot of travel and meet up with some of my special American friends who made up for all the stupid people
and stupid attitude of many US officials and public I endured.
A great place to visit, and amazing scenery and fun parks – but to actually live there and put up with the stupidity of the racist bigoted people
and the ugly politics – that’s a whole different story. I am just glad that I did have some wonderful friends over there outside of New York;
they are not anything like the many stupid people I encountered. I guess I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and made some bad
choices and decisions. These are all actual things I have experienced or read about or seen on TV in the first months and later months of
living in New York.
This is supposed to be
"The Land of Opportunity” –
Whatever happened to equal rights, I very much doubt that day will ever happen from what I have observed over there.
Why did I go there?
Because I believed all the bullshit about living the dream and I was encouraged by a man I met in New York - who promised me a whole heap
of lies - gave me the perception I would be living in Brooklyn Heights – NOT Flatbush Ave where I ended up - took this naïve Kiwi for a ride -
guess you live and learn.
They say if you don’t like living there go home – best advice I ever heard
I SAW THE LIGHT
I realised Living the Dream is here in NZ in our piece of paradise.
Freedom, democracy, fresh air and sunshine.